I’m almost done with this winter knitting project, the Odd Little Grandpa Sweater. Trying to figure out what the next project will be. I can’t be without a knitting project, I need to have that relaxing activity while I’m watching Justified.
I’ve been having so much fun working on my latest yarny project. Most of you know I’m undercover on these projects but I really needed to share these because I think they turned out so great…
I have no idea how long they actually took to make. I worked on them in the evenings while watching 3 different versions of Tess of the Dubervilles among other long, slow period pieces.
The pink one is for a semi-secret mission and the blue one is for my daughter’s 14th birthday. We took down the horrible ceiling fan in her room and wired this up in its place and it works!
I might be out of my mind, but I’m thinking of making more!
Lately it has felt as though I have been treading water. Working a lot, but not really getting anywhere. I will work on a project and then get to a point where I need to stop and wait for supplies or just think about how to proceed. It becomes really frustrating to work this hard and just have piles of fabric and full sketch books to show for it. So, I started a few just for fun projects to keep my hands busy and maybe feel a bit of that thrill you get from actually finishing something.
I embroidered this skirt for Scout.
And I knitted this sort of Rodarte inspired scarf thing. Of course I got carried away and it is HUGE, but it will be fun to wear.
And then this week something strange happened. In the middle of all the frustration of trying to work while having kids home for yet another snow day, I started to see some progress.
After days of sampling, yarn shopping, pattern drafting, and muslin making, I started on this crochet/knit jacket. Once I actually got started it moved forward pretty quickly. I still need to make all of the pieces for the back and then join all of the little pieces together. Then it will be lined and finished off with leather trim. All in all I think I will have 2 solid weeks of work into this little tiny thing. I am really happy with how it is turning out; a little bit ugly and a little bit odd, a little bit vintage and a little bit modern.
Yesterday the best progress of all happened when I received the swatches from Spoonflower of the fabrics I designed. They look amazing and only needed just a few changes. Very soon I will be able to order the fabric for the shirts, scarves and bags.
The largest moths here are about 8″ across.
I finally made a project from the knitting book domiknitrix (that I “borrowed” from my friend Anna). This book is part eye candy, part beautiful projects. It may not be for beginners as some of these projects are complex and require quite an investment of time and money. While I have day dreamed about making many of the projects here in, I just could not commit.
Then I found this amazing acid green yarn from Lion Brand and just bought one skein with a vague idea of making a scarf out of it. It is too bright for anything big, I just wanted a little splash of that electric color for fall. This bubble scarf was the perfect project so I gave it a go. The first couple of bubbles were tricky and I didn’t really understand the authors instructions on her type of increases and decreases ( I ended up just using my own tried and true method) , but once I got going it was fairly fast and easy. I actually like knitting on DPNs!
I have been interested in trying some ‘Scrumbling’, or free form knitting and crochet, for some time but had not come up with a project that wouldn’t come out too artsy. Recently I was inspired by my amazingly talented friend Milan ( I will try to add a link to her work) to try this right on the knitting machine. So I started with a small section of hand work, then cast this directly onto the machine and just knit a little bit and then turn it, fold it, add another color or what ever I feel like. I also plan on adding some hand worked crochet.
When the piece gets larger I will start to drape it on the form to see what shape it takes. My goal is a wearable sweater made from as few parts as possible. I love the holes and bits of yarn hanging everywhere, I hope I can find a way to incorporate these.
I needed some light weights that were easy to move around and fit into odd spots, after scrounging around the studio I came up with these. I used some duct tape to attach large washers to clothes pins. They aren’t pretty but they work very well.
These are the first pictures of my finished sweater and dress on my model, Lacey. I am really happy with how it turned out. It is misshapen, awkward and uneven all meticulously patterned and perfect. Tomorrow we present to the critique panel.
It is perfect and beautiful and I have to toss it into the washer and shrink it down. Here’s hoping I did the math right and it will come out the right size.
This is my new/old knitting machine. I say old because I think it is actually older than I am. It is a Brother Kh 820 and after some basic but time consuming maintenance and cleaning it is running great.
This is the first time that I have EVER finished an actual sweater. I make a lot of scarves and hats and have saved up all of this scrap yarn and finally found the motivation to put it into something. I need more color, can’t get enough of it.
I started out with the Wenlan Chia pattern from Knit Knit but I didn’t follow it closely and left all of my mistakes right where I made them. I twisted 3-4 yarns together to get the super bulk and crazy color.